Thursday, October 18, 2012

a rod and a staff


“Your rod and staff, they comfort me” — Psalm 23:4

A rod.  A staff.  One guards while the other guides  The Shepherd had a rod to protect that which was His.  The Shepherd had a staff to lead, direct, prompt, restore that which was His.  I find comfort in the fact that the Shepherd is diligent and vigilante to guard and guide me.  Can it really be true that whatever happens in my life, I can trust that the Shepherd has given His stamp of “ok” for it to be in my life?  Sometimes, don’t we question this?  Can it really be true? 

We discover that life can hurt but I believe that God is good and just and He will put the big hurt on all the injustices in the world with His Rod and make things right.  Then, He Himself will wipe away every tear from our eyes.  His rod is our comfort.  For me, His Rod is His justice. 

Ask Him now to gird His sword on His thigh and ride on the cause of truth, humility and righteousness in your life, see Psalm 45:33-4.  Call out to the God of Justice for his justice to prevail!  

The Shepherd also guides even when we stray.  Do I really believe this?  Is this true not only when I stray but when I actually rebel?  Out of His love, He uses His staff to teach us, to reprove us, correct us and train us in the way we should go.  He uses His staff to point the way, to lead the way, along His trail.   His staff is our comfort.  For me His staff, is the Word of God empowered by the Holy Spirit, see 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Ephesians 6:17.  

Ask Him now to guide you as you open your heart to His Word to listen to Him and to obey Him.  

May He comfort you, right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment